17 Jan What can be done about Smoke Damage?
It is clearly one thing to know how smoke and soot can damage not only your properties but your general health as well, what is more important is what you need to do next. And no matter how complex the task of smoke damage cleanup may be, here are a few suggestions on how you can simplify the process.
· For soft materials such as clothing, fabrics, and upholstery you can use a power vacuum to remove the soot from the affected articles. Keep in mind to use only the most powerful vacuum and to cover the cleaned up article immediately so that it will not get re-soiled during the entire cleaning process.
· For carpets, you can hire a professional carpet cleaner only after you have restored your carpet yourself. You can also rent a rotary scrubber or an extraction machine from your local tool rental shop to help you with either wet cleaning or injection cleaning of your carpet.
· Remember that it may be necessary to wash fabrics and clothing to completely remove the soot and odor brought about by the smoke. Try to soak the articles overnight in a solution with deodorizers before machine washing them the following day.
· If soot has permeated through porous hard surfaces, you can use a dry chemical sponge to scrub off the soot and then spraying the surfaces with a chemical cleaning solution. Make sure to dry the surface properly and well before applying any deodorizing agent.
· For less porous hard surfaces, you can try to make some changes in the concentration of the chemical cleaning solutions you have used for cleaning porous hard surfaces.