(844) 363-7462

24/7 Emergency Response Line 1

(919) 363-7462

24/7 Emergency Response Line 2

Mold Removal FAQs


The existence of mold in your home or business presents both health hazards and a risk to materials and personal belongings.

Mold is dangerous due to its ease of growth. Most molds grow naturally outdoors and can be easily carried into buildings through open windows, ventilation and air conditioning systems, as well as on pets, clothing, or shoes.

Once indoors, molds grow easily, needing nothing but moisture and a food source such as lint, ceiling tiles, drywall, insulation, carpets, upholstery or wood.

Health Hazards of Mold

Mold sensitivity is non-specific and depends on the type of mold present, the amount and degree of exposure, and the health condition of the occupant.

Health effects of mold can range from being insignificant to causing allergic reactions and illness including nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, shortness of breath, wheezing, and in rare cases, mold infections in the lung.

The following populations are in a higher risk when exposed to mold:

  • Infants and children
  • The elderly
  • Pregnant women
  • People with respiratory diseases, a weakened immune system, and those who suffer from allergies

Toxic Mold

The term “toxic mold” is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous.

Hazards presented by molds that produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds

Mold Damage to Materials and Personal Belongings

Mold growth can make materials stained or discolored. These materials will be ruined overtime if mold is not removed.

  • Moldy paper and cardboard disintegrate over time
  • Fabrics are damaged
  • Continued mold growth can be indicative of moisture conditions favorable for growth of fungi that cause wood rot and structural damage

General Mold Questions

What is so dangerous about mold?

Mold is mainly dangerous to your health as it may cause light allergic reactions to serious illness. It is more dangerous to infants, children, elderly people, pregnant women, and people with respiratory diseases, a weakened immune system, and those who suffer from allergies. The common reactions to mold are nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, shortness of breath, wheezing, and in rare cases, mold infections.

Will cleaning moldy areas stop the growth?

Cleaning is an important step when attempting to eliminate mold but it is not enough and will not stop mold growth. To stop mold you must remove the moisture source that promotes the growth. It is most recommended to keep the affected area dry and moisture free.

How can I tell if I have mold?

Active mold growth is slimy or fuzzy and is usually green, black, orange or purple. Inactive mold is dry and powdery and is usually white. In early stages, mold may look like a web while in full bloom it looks bushy. Another indicator for mold presence is odor. Mold has a musty, earthy smell that can indicate its presence even if it cannot be seen.

Where does mold grow?

Mold can be found everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Usually, mold is found in damp areas, such as the basement or bathroom, as well as in the outdoor environment in grass, leaf piles, hay, and mulch.

Mold Prevention

What are the basic steps to mold prevention?

To prevent mold from growing, you will need to keep humidity levels below 40-45 percent. Start with measuring air moisture using a humidity meter (hygrometer). To maintain adequate moisture levels, allow good air circulation and use dehumidifiers and your AC system.

What are the techniques for mold prevention in the bathroom?

The most important technique for mold prevention is keeping low humidity levels. This can be achieved by:

  • Allowing good air circulation by opening windows and doors and by turning the exhaust fan whenever using the bathroom
  • Keeping the bathroom in good condition by cleaning it frequently and keeping it as dry as possible.

More articles